Austin Moto3 and Moto2 race round up :
Rins snatches debut win in red-flagged Moto3 race,Nico Terol takes first Moto2 win as Espargaro crashes.
Moto3 got Sunday’s race action under way with a restarted crash after Jasper Iwema’s massive crash .
After also leading the first race Estrella Galicia rider Alex Rins won the five lap sprint after the restart at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin,Texas.
Initially Luis Salom made the best of the situation after fading in the original running, the stop giving him the opportunity to change the tyres on his Red Bull KTM Ajo, which appeared to solve his woes. Salom went wide racing into the final corner which also allowed Team Calvo’s Maverick Vinales through for second.
The result makes once again for an all KTM podium with the same three Spanish riders on the rostrum as Qatar. They also dominate the championship standings due to their consistency with Salom and Rins tied on 41 points,one ahead of Vinales.
Jasper Iwema was airlifted by helicopter from the track with reports coming in suggesting he had no broken bones and full movement following his huge accident. The rider confirmed this later personally on Twitter posting “Thanks for all messages, im ok after my big crash. I’ve just a concussion after I was KO for a couple minutes.”
Jonas Folger tried to keep pace with the frontrunners again but ended up fourth for Mapfre Aspar, while Miguel Olivera recovered from a lacklustre qualifying to be the highest non-KTM finisher in fifth spot.
Moto2 had a lot of drama to follow and broght plenty of action of it’s own when title favourite Pol Espargaro crashed out early in the race.
The Tuenti HP 40 rider had qualified his Pons machine down in seventh and pushed too hard while trying to move up the order.
Nico Terol raced hard from the start and found himself with a gap of over three seconds pretty quickly, which he maintained on his Mapre Aspar Suter machine until the chequered flag for his debut Moto2 win.
He had a previously strong record when the support classes have travelled to America before, with three Indianapolis 125cc wins to his names. His fourth grand prix win in the states brings him tied for the most wins on American soil with Casey Stoner.
The battle for second was fierce with Pons Tuenti’s Tito Rabat working his way up the field to second after tussling with Marc VDS rider Mika Kallio who finished in the final podium spot and Technomag carXpert’s Dominique Aegerter, who missed out on the podium after contact with Kallio.
Scott Redding lead the early laps but couldn’t keep pace due to what appeared to be a problem with tyre wear, his fifth place is enough for him to lead the championship standings after the opening two rounds.
Moto3 Austin Race Top 15:
1. Alex Rins SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 (KTM) 11m 26.535
2. Maverick Viñales SPA Team Calvo (KTM) 11m 26.779
3. Luis Salom SPA Red Bull KTM Ajo (KTM) 11m 27.082
4. Jonas Folger GER Mapfre Aspar Team Moto3 (Kalex KTM) 11m 27.765
5. Miguel Oliveira POR Mahindra Racing (Mahindra) 11m 34.811
6. Jack Miller AUS Caretta Technology – RTG (FTR Honda) 11m 35.138
7. Zulfahmi Khairuddin MAL Red Bull KTM Ajo (KTM) 11m 36.682
8. Alexis Masbou FRA Ongetta-Rivacold (FTR Honda) 11m 38.572
9. Brad Binder RSA Ambrogio Racing (Suter Honda) 11m 38.798
10. Jakub Kornfeil CZE Redox RW Racing GP (Kalex KTM) 11m 39.272
11. Danny Webb GBR Ambrogio Racing (Suter Honda) 11m 39.756
12. Arthur Sissis AUS Red Bull KTM Ajo (KTM) 11m 40.565
13. Isaac Viñales SPA Ongetta-Centro Seta (FTR Honda) 11m 42.357
14. Efren Vazquez SPA Mahindra Racing (Mahindra) 11m 43.128
15. Niklas Ajo FIN Avant Tecno (KTM) 11m 47.629
Moto2 Austin Race Top 15:
1. Nicolas Terol SPA Mapfre Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 42m 2.689
2. Esteve Rabat SPA Tuenti HP 40 (Kalex) 42m 5.814
3. Mika Kallio FIN Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 42m 5.864
4. Dominique Aegerter SWI Technomag carXpert (Suter) 42m 7.562
5. Scott Redding GBR Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 42m 8.286
6. Johann Zarco FRA Came Iodaracing Project (Suter) 42m 11.984
7. Anthony West AUS QMMF Racing Team (Speed Up) 42m 12.129
8. Mattia Pasini ITA NGM Mobile Racing (Speed Up) 42m 17.161s
9. Alex De Angelis RSM NGM Mobile Forward Racing (Speed Up) 42m 18.740
10. Toni Elias SPA Blusens Avintia (Kalex) 42m 22.385
11. Mike Di Meglio FRA JiR Moto2 (MotoBI) 42m 22.796
12. Marcel Schrotter GER Desguaces La Torre SAG (Kalex) 42m 25.976
13. Xavier Simeon BEL Desguaces La Torre Maptaq (Kalex) 42m 26.236
14. Jordi Torres SPA Mapfre Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 42m 26.504
15. Ricard Cardus SPA NGM Mobile Forward Racing (Speed Up) 42m 36.177