This is still a Moto2 and Moto3 based blog so here’s an update on how the support classes did in Mugello qualifying!
I’ll focus on the front rows here, with more detail available in my full qualifying round-up at Paddock Chatter or the detailed race reports available for Moto3 and Moto2 at crash.net, just click on the orange links!
Maverick Vinales looked to be heading for pole for Team Calvo until Jonas Folger took a leaf out of his boss’ book, Jorge “Aspar” Martinez, and followed him around the track glued to the Spanish rider and had the slipstream to snatch first, with a new pole position record.
Third and once again making for an all KTM front row was one of the seasons regular frontrunners Estrella Galicia rider Alex Rins.
Fourth was taken by Jack Miller for Caretta Technology. The Australian was the highest placing Honda on the grid and in achieving that he also equaled his own best previous qualifying position.
The Marc VDS rider timed his runs well to finish on top and will be looking to win two races in a row after his victory last time out in Le Mans.
He achieved this despite a major crash in FP3, from which the Gloucestershire rider walked away unharmed but demolished his bike, leaving some serious rebuilding to be done by the team.
Once again finding himself pipped to pole was Italtrans rider Takaaki Nakagami. The Japanese rider held the spot with a time set on just his third lap, which he failed to improve on.
Pol Espargaro also set his best time on his third lap but that left the Pons Tuenti rider down in tenth on the grid.
A surprising third place came from the ever improving Marcel Schrotter. The Desguaces La Torre SAG rider scoring a career best qualifying to do so.
Moto3 Mugello Qualifying Top Ten
1.Jonas Folger GER Mapfre Aspar Team Moto3 (Kalex KTM) 1m 57.603
2. Maverick Viñales SPA Team Calvo (KTM) 1m 57.669
3. Alex Rins SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 (KTM) 1m 58.046
4. Jack Miller AUS Caretta Technology – RTG (FTR Honda) 1m 58.056
5. Luis Salom SPA Red Bull KTM Ajo (KTM) 1m 58.129
6. Miguel Oliveira POR Mahindra Racing (Mahindra) 1m 58.480
7. Niccolò Antonelli ITA GO&FUN Gresini Moto3 (FTR Honda) 1m 58.724
8. Jakub Kornfeil CZE Redox RW Racing GP (Kalex KTM) 1m 58.799
9. Danny Webb GBR Ambrogio Racing (Suter Honda) 1m 58.910
10. Alex Marquez SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 (KTM) 1m 59.211
Moto2 Mugello Qualifying Top Ten
1.Scott Redding GBR Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 52.958
2. Takaaki Nakagami JPN Italtrans Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 53.123
3. Marcel Schrotter GER Desguaces La Torre SAG (Kalex) 1m 53.221
4. Johann Zarco FRA Came Iodaracing Project (Suter) 1m 53.278
5. Nicolas Terol SPA Mapfre Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 1m 53.368
6. Esteve Rabat SPA Tuenti HP 40 (Kalex) 1m 53.383
7. Xavier Simeon BEL Desguaces La Torre Maptaq (Kalex) 1m 53.459
8. Alex De Angelis RSM NGM Mobile Forward Racing (Speed Up) 1m 53.466
9. Jordi Torres SPA Mapfre Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 1m 53.611
10. Pol Espargaro SPA Tuenti HP 40 (Kalex) 1m 53.678