Moto2 and Moto3 again brought some cracking race action to the Catalunya race weekend, here is a brief summary of who finished where, more can be read in my race summaries for PaddockChatter.com
and my Moto3
race reports for crash.net, just click on the orange links!
Moto3 began the action with a well timed win by Luis Salom for the Red Bull KTM Ajo team.
Once again the lightweight class was Spanish and KTM dominated as Salom picked the right moment to power away to back-to-back wins after also seizing victory in Mugello two weeks ago.
He was joined on the podium by Estrella Galicia rider Alex Rins who despite his best efforts could not pass his rival, and Team Calvo’s Maverick Vinales who had to settle for third.
Salom also leaves Spain with the championship lead, in front by five points from Vinales, with both riders making the podium at every round so far.
Alex Marquez was dropped in the closing stages and finished fourth for the Estrella Galicia team ahead of a hard battling Efren Vazquez, who was back on form on his return for Mahindra and comfortably ahead of his team-mate Miguel Oliveira who was next across the stripe.
Moto2 was a battle to the end for Tuenti HP 40 team-mates Pol Espargaro and Tito Rabat, with Espargaro holding on for the win, his second from pole this year after Qatar.
Tom Luthi looked to be fully recovered from injury with an assured performance on his Interwetten Paddock machine placing him on the final spot on the podium.
Brit Scott Redding made the best of a tough weekend, and despite topping warm-up after an engine change settled for fourth for Marc VDS. He still leads the championship, with Espargaro moving into second in the standings.
Italtrans rider Takaaki Nakagami and Technomag’s Randy Krummenacher had a long duel with the Japanese rider being the victor in fifth.
Catalunya Moto2 Race Result Top 15:
Pol Espargaro SPA Tuenti HP 40 (Kalex) 41m 17.307
2. Esteve Rabat SPA Tuenti HP 40 (Kalex) 41m 17.388
3. Thomas Luthi SWI Interwetten Paddock Moto2 Rac (Suter) 41m 23.571
4. Scott Redding GBR Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 41m 26.368
5. Takaaki Nakagami JPN Italtrans Racing Team (Kalex) 41m 27.904
6. Randy Krummenache SWI Technomag carXpert (Suter) 41m 28.884
7. Johann Zarco FRA Came Iodaracing Project (Suter) 41m 32.876
8. Dominique Aegerter SWI Technomag carXpert (Suter) 41m 45.587
9. Mika Kallio FIN Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 41m 45.659
10. Simone Corsi ITA NGM Mobile Racing (Speed Up) 41m 45.768
11. Mattia Pasini ITA NGM Mobile Racing (Speed Up) 41m 46.199
12. Mike Di Meglio FRA JiR Moto2 (MotoBI) 41m 48.522
13. Danny Kent GBR Tech 3 (Tech 3) 41m 48.625
14. Axel Pons SPA Tuenti HP 40 (Kalex) 41m 49.064
15. Julian Simon SPA Italtrans Racing Team (Kalex) 41m 50.497
Catalunya Moto3 Race Result Top 15:
1.Luis Salom SPA Red Bull KTM Ajo (KTM) 41m 15.331
2. Alex Rins SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 (KTM) 41m 15.542
3. Maverick Viñales SPA Team Calvo (KTM) 41m 15.965
4. Alex Marquez SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 (KTM) 41m 19.324
5. Efren Vazquez SPA Mahindra Racing (Mahindra) 41m 21.574
6. Miguel Oliveira POR Mahindra Racing (Mahindra) 41m 24.626
7. Jack Miller AUS Caretta Technology – RTG (FTR Honda) 41m 28.495
8. Alexis Masbou FRA Ongetta-Rivacold (FTR Honda) 41m 36.505
9. Zulfahmi Khairuddin MAL Red Bull KTM Ajo (KTM) 41m 36.571
10. Arthur Sissis AUS Red Bull KTM Ajo (KTM) 41m 36.929
11. Isaac Viñales SPA Ongetta-Centro Seta (FTR Honda) 41m 37.057
12. Brad Binder RSA Ambrogio Racing (Suter Honda) 41m 37.087
13. Alan Techer FRA CIP Moto3 (TSR Honda) 41m 37.159
14. Danny Webb GBR Ambrogio Racing (Suter Honda) 41m 37.210
15. Romano Fenati ITA San Carlo Team Italia (FTR Honda) 41m 37.402