As usual more on the support calss qualifying from me at paddockchatter.com and detailed race reports at crash.net for Moto3 and Moto2, just click the links to visit.
Estrella Galicia 0,0 rider Alex Rins finds himself on pole for the third time this season, as the qualifying action got under way at the Sachsenring in Germany.
Last seasons top rookie narrowly beat championship leader Luis Salom into second in terms of time, but not on the track as the Red Bull KTM rider had to sit out the end of the session with a blown engine.
The final spot on the front row will be filled by the Mahindra of Portuguese rider Miguel Oliveira after fending off Jack Miller and Maverick Vinales in a last lap battle around the track. Caretta Technology-RTG rider Miller caught up to the battle ahead of him when on a very fast lap, leaving him fifth but the best qualifying Honda rider. Vinales had to settle for sixth, his team and bike having struggled for pace all weekend.
Ahead of them on the grid at his home Grand Prix is Jonas Folger. The Mapre Aspar rider crashed out early in the session but recovered as his speedily repaired bike held out to grab fourth on the grid.
The second of the Mahindra riders Efren Vazquez starts seventh with Romano Fenati enjoying his best qualifying of the year in eighth for San Carlo Team Italia.
Moto2 also saw much of it’s action arrive in the closing minutes as the riders tried to set some strong late laps – with the big names in the championship being the ones to miss out.
Belgian rider Xavier Simeon took his maiden pole at the end of qualifying for the Desugaces La Torre Maptaq team, making him the first Belgian took take pole since Didier de Radigues in the 250cc Spa-Francorchamps race in 1989.
The race promises to be a close affair as all the top 20 riders were within a second of his pole time.
Also surprising after a strong weekend where he topped the Moto2 FP3 was Jordi Torres, claiming his first front row start for the Mapfre Aspar team.
Restoring a little order to proceedings was usual suspect Pol Espargaro in third for Tuenti HP 40, though his Pons team-mates were much lower down the grid, Tito Rabat is 23rd after a big FP3 crash left him limping and in pain, one place ahead of Axel Pons in 24th.
Tom Luthi’s last fast lap brought him fourth on the grid for the Interwetten team. He is joined on the second row by top Speed Up rider Simone Corsi in fifth and Julian Simon in Sixth for Italtrans.
Takaaki Nakagami is just one place behind his team-mate in seventh on his return after missing Assen after damaging his collarbone. He is joined on the third row by both Marc VDS riders Scott Redding in eighth and Mika Kallio in ninth, though both had looked to have more pace over the weekend, with Redding having topped FP3.
Gino Rea put in an amazing performance to score 17th as a wild card.
Moto3 Sachsenring Qualifying Top Ten:
1. Alex Rins SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 (KTM) 1m 27.300
2. Luis Salom SPA Red Bull KTM Ajo (KTM) 1m 27.480
3. Miguel Oliveira POR Mahindra Racing (Mahindra) 1m 27.559
4. Jonas Folger GER Mapfre Aspar Team Moto3 (Kalex KTM) 1m 27.579
5. Jack Miller AUS Caretta Technology – RTG (FTR Honda) 1m 27.599
6. Maverick Viñales SPA Team Calvo (KTM) 1m 27.694
7. Efren Vazquez SPA Mahindra Racing (Mahindra) 1m 27.753
8. Romano Fenati ITA San Carlo Team Italia (FTR Honda) 1m 27.810
9. Jasper Iwema NED RW Racing GP (Kalex KTM) 1m 27.815
10. Alex Marquez SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 (KTM) 1m 27.818
Moto2 Sachsenring Qualifying Top Ten:
1. Xavier Simeon BEL Desguaces La Torre Maptaq (Kalex) 1m 24.665
2. Jordi Torres SPA Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 1m 24.678
3. Pol Espargaro SPA Tuenti HP 40 (Kalex) 1m 24.704
4. Thomas Luthi SWI Interwetten Paddock Moto2 Rac (Suter) 1m 24.840
5. Simone Corsi ITA NGM Mobile Racing (Speed Up) 1m 24.858
6. Julian Simon SPA Italtrans Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 24.919
7. Takaaki Nakagami JPN Italtrans Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 24.931
8. Scott Redding GBR Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 24.963
9. Mika Kallio FIN Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 1m 24.990
10. Alex De Angelis RSM NGM Mobile Forward Racing (Speed Up) 1m 25.032