Time for an update on the Moto2 and Moto3 support classes did at the Mugello Grand Prix!
I’ll focus on the front podium places here, with more detail available in my full race round-up at Paddock Chatter or the detailed race reports available for Moto3 and Moto2 at crash.net, just click on the orange links!
Scott Redding celebrates his historic win at Mugello.
Image Via Marc VDS Press
Moto3 round up:
Luis Salom moved to the front of a pack of six riders who made a big fight of the Mugello Moto3 Grand Prix.
The Spaniard led an all Spanish, all KTM podium with his second win of the season for his Red Bull Ajo team, though all six in the leading group – Salom,Rins,Oliveira,Folger,Vinales and Marquez – were in with the chance of a win in a closely fought race.
It was Alex Marquez who made the difference when an overconfident move on his Estrella Galicia machine by the younger Marquez brother caused most of the opposition to need to sit up or move, leaving a gap clear for Salom who took full advantage to break at the front.
Team Mate Alex Rins, who look to be holding something in reserve had to settle for second, Team Calvo’s Maverick Vinales was happy to keep his consistent run of podiums, like Salom he has been on the rostrum every race so far this season, was third.
Moto3 Italian Grand PrixTop 15 :
1.Luis Salom SPA Red Bull KTM Ajo (KTM) 39m 53.827
2. Alex Rins SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 (KTM) 39m 53.926
3. Maverick Viñales SPA Team Calvo (KTM) 39m 54.130
4. Miguel Oliveira POR Mahindra Racing (Mahindra) 39m 54.584
5. Alex Marquez SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 (KTM) 39m 54.646
6. Jonas Folger GER Mapfre Aspar Team Moto3 (Kalex KTM) 39m 55.260
7. Niccolò Antonelli ITA GO&FUN Gresini Moto3 (FTR Honda) 40m 10.291
8. Niklas Ajo FIN Avant Tecno (KTM) 40m 12.454
9. Eric Granado BRA Mapfre Aspar Team Moto3 (Kalex KTM) 40m 12.784
10. Jack Miller AUS Caretta Technology – RTG (FTR Honda) 40m 12.853
11. Zulfahmi Khairuddin MAL Red Bull KTM Ajo (KTM) 40m 12.974
12. Alexis Masbou FRA Ongetta-Rivacold (FTR Honda) 40m 12.981
13. Isaac Viñales SPA Ongetta-Centro Seta (FTR Honda) 40m 14.640
14. Brad Binder RSA Ambrogio Racing (Suter Honda) 40m 15.068
15. Jasper Iwema NED RW Racing GP (Kalex KTM) 40m 22.409
Moto2 race round up:
The history books were once again being re-written by Marc VDS rider Scott Redding in Moto2.
His win came after Aspar rider Nico Terol decided to allow the Brit to pass as he was struggling with his tyres and bike. Redding took the opportunity and gave him no hope of retaking the lead as he stamped his authority on the race and moved away from the Spaniard.
Redding now leads the championship by a huge 43 points. The 20 year old Kalex rider is the first person to win two races this season, and it was the first time he has won from a pole start.
He also becomes the first British rider to take back-to-back wins since Rod Gould in 1971 and the youngest to achieve that feat taking the record from legend Barry Sheene.
He is also only the third Brit to win at Mugello, joining Barry Sheene who won in 1976 in the 500cc class and Bradly Smith who won the 125cc race in 2009.
Terol’s second place was his second podium visit of the year after his win in Austin. Joining them on the rostrum was Johann Zarco for Came Iodaracing Project, his first podium appearance in Moto2.
Moto2 Italian Grand Prix Top 15:
1.Scott Redding GBR Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 39m 53.942
2. Nicolas Terol SPA Mapfre Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 39m 56.117
3. Johann Zarco FRA Came Iodaracing Project (Suter) 39m 58.329
4. Pol Espargaro SPA Tuenti HP 40 (Kalex) 40m 3.729
5. Mika Kallio FIN Marc VDS Racing Team (Kalex) 40m 3.793
6. Jordi Torres SPA Mapfre Aspar Team Moto2 (Suter) 40m 4.586
7. Simone Corsi ITA NGM Mobile Racing (Speed Up) 40m 4.660
8. Alex De Angelis RSM NGM Mobile Forward Racing (Speed Up) 40m 4.786
9. Thomas Luthi SWI Interwetten Paddock Moto2 Rac (Suter) 40m 4.842
10. Dominique Aegerter SWI Technomag carXpert (Suter) 40m 6.108
11. Toni Elias SPA Blusens Avintia (Kalex) 40m 6.115
12. Marcel Schrotter GER Desguaces La Torre SAG (Kalex) 40m 9.813
13. Esteve Rabat SPA Tuenti HP 40 (Kalex) 40m 21.861
14. Sandro Cortese GER Dynavolt Intact GP (Kalex) 40m 22.630
15. Randy Krummenacher SWI Technomag carXpert (Suter) 40m 22.915